Friday, May 4, 2012

Miss E and the broken glass


Well, my two year old has a thing about being in control - she likes things in order.  She likes things lined up and in their place, whatever that place may be according to her own mind.  Cups have certain places.  Toys should be wearing certain clothes.  Cars aught to be lined up. She likes order.  She likes control.
Coupled with this she gets really really frustrated when things are not 'just so.'  This generally includes holding her breath, shaking, and sort of yelling/screaming all at the same time.  This is followed by sobbing until the problem is fixed or organized.
yes. that is a feather in her hair. she had me put it there in the early afternoon.  It came out for naps, and went back in for the rest of the day.
So, today, she said, "I'n wanna dwink a wadew." (for those who don't do phonetic child language this translates to I want a drink of water.)
I said, "okay, get one." I pointed to my glass by the fridge and she promptly went to be her independent self. I noticed the angle she was going in at to get water from the fridge and knew it was going to be a mess.  I said, "I'll help you." I gave her about 2 inches of water and continued with what I was doing.  She looked at me and said, while shaking and turning red, "Is not enough!" I said, "honey, it's perfect, if you want more you can get more."  She then said nothing, but proceeded to take the cup and push/throw it full force at the floor.  It shattered.  I said nothing at all.  I just looked at my girl who started to shake and turn crimson.  Things were out of order, frustrating, and not controlled all at the same time.  I sat next to her on the kitchen floor while she cried for about 2 minutes.  When she was done crying, I put her in time out and cleaned.  She sat in time out and said, "I sowwy momma" over and over again.  When it was cleaned, I sat her at the table (and took a picture for posterity) and had her look at the glass.  She definitely didn't like the consequence of her outburst.  My reaction was nothing - she hated the disorder and broken glass more than anything.  And she didn't even get a drink.

4 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Life is so hard when you're two. There really isn't much you can be in control of so she must be frustrated pretty often, poor thing. But way to handle it, Mama. It sounds like you did just the right thing.

Lindsay said...

Love the picture. And love how you handled it--I wish I could have as much self control and just let the consequences take effect. It seems I can't help but throw in a few angry words and/or a lecture. Thanks for the reminder to try harder!

erica said...

oh Lindsay, there was an attempt at a lecture. Every time I started to talk, she started to cry. I ended up shortening my lecture to, "oh no. that was a bad choice."

ZB said...

You are one good mamma. Impressive control on your part.

I have a little girl who throws fits like that. We put her on the washing machine until she's done.