Wednesday, September 7, 2011

hot lips

proof of baby teeth marks.
 So my kids and I went into the backyard - they played and I was picking string beans for dinner.  I had my back to the kids, but when I looked up, I saw miss E sitting in the muddy garden.  My first reaction was a deep sigh knowing the messy baby I'd be cleaning shortly.  But then I realized, she was sitting next to the 4 jalapeno plants.  There were at least 10 hot little numbers growing.  I screamed as I saw what was in my baby's hands - two jalapenos; one was red.  I ran to her, snatched them out of her hands and examined the peppers.  The whole time, miss E thought I was insane.  She was still happily playing in the mud.  Well, the peppers showed obvious signs of baby teeth marks.  She bit the end off the red one and bit straight into the middle of the green one.  I thought they must not be spicy.  I touched the raw pepper to my tongue.  Needless to say, my tongue burned for 10 minutes.  Crazy.  I brought her in, rinsed her hands and gave her some milk.  The whole time, she just couldn't figure out what the big deal was.  No sign of pain or distress.  As a matter of fact, she tried to pick another one later on.

2 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Holy Cow! I hate those things that are way more dramatic in your own head than they actually were to your child. She's one lucky chicita!

Becky said...

That's crazy! Maybe it's similar to how some kids seem immune to the sourness of lemons. (Whereas some kids end up on America's Funniest Home Videos when their parents give them a lemon.)