Monday, June 27, 2011

6 years later

So after six years of marriage, we've gone from individuals to a rather fetching little family, if I do say so myself. It may seem unconventional to take the family along for the anniversary celebration, especially when there is a willing babysitter, but really, it seems odd to me to exclude the kids from the beginning of our family.  In my head, our anniversary was treated like the birthday of our family and so we went and spent the day in Estes Park, Colorado.  Some things that many may not know:
1. My family lived and lives about 40 minutes from Estes.
2. I only went once for a youth conference and then it was only to the rec center there.
3. I love beautiful hikes with few people.
4. Lefthand Canyon is easily my favorite canyon in Colorado (not that I've been to them all, but I really love it).
Some things I thought about Estes Park:
1. I'm so glad I had my family there because they were the highlight.
2. The setting of the Stanley Hotel is perfect.
3. Now for the unexpected...I thought Estes would hold more for me as everyone has always talked it up so much, but really it's way too touristy for me.  I just want to hike about the mountains.  I guess I don't need all the bells and whistles that go along with the mountains. I think next time, I'll stick to Lefthand Canyon...or any Canyon closer to where I live? anyone have a suggestion? anyone?

Other things - so yes, the Mr. and I did go out to dinner minus the juniors, but in lieu of a fancy restaurant, we went to The Rib House and had some of the best bbq in the US - and we didn't decide that, some magazine or something did. tasty.

So things I learned: just because I like Jane Austen, chick flicks, funny romances, and the occasional Hallmark movie, does not mean I'm a sappy, hopeless romantic.  I think unconventional romance, or the simple demonstrations of love (like the 2 minute phone call, or the "I'll put the kids to bed" or the pep talk emails) are the ones I like the most.

Thanks to my man for bringing me into a new phase of life.  It's been...unexpected. It's been ... bewildering sometimes.  It's been ...a warm hug.
awe. love.

6 comments:

Rachel Durazzani said...

Happy Anniversary! I think it makes sense to takes the littles along. Love that family photo! I learned a lot about Estes. Thank you. :)

Nancy Sabina said...

Awe. Love.

I've never heard of Estes before and now I have no desire to go there.

Alex said...

Happy Anniversary!

Life Travels with the Parental Units said...

Estes in the summer is as you said - touristy. I love it in the winter. Really, there is generally not too much snow - and a lot less people. The best part of Estes Park is what is on the other side - Rocky Mountain National Park - spring and fall are best. And if you just look above Estes - maybe the best mountain vies in Colordo - which equates to the best in the US.

Katie said...

I love Estes! It's beautiful! Happy Anniversary!

Jilly Bean said...

Has it really been 6 years? That's crazy. Congratulations! Still so happy for you both :)