Wednesday, September 2, 2009

the showdown.

my girl has learned to open all the kid proof doors. what does this mean? it means chain locks on the front and back doors, pantry raids, and bed time showdowns.

last night, it began at 8:30 and didn't end until 11:10. we took toys. blankets. her pacifier. her pillow. told her no park. no friends. still she happily got up and hopped about - rather frolicked about until about 9:30 when she got really tired and wanted the pacifier. that's when I felt mean. no paci.

she got up at 7:30. it's nap time again. and she's doing. it. again. I think I need some sanity help. she's never had to 'cry it out' before, and I'm not sure she would. She fell asleep like 5 times last night and kept waking herself up to cry more. She cried at 2 am for the same stuff.

so...what to try next. I do not know. I've heard a lot of ideas. but for my kid, i've lost my bargaining chips I think. punishment ideas?

3 comments:

out numbered said...

Not that this will help any, but I think you are doing the right thing, don't give in, and stay consistant with what you are telling her. We went through this with Clayton too and eventually he figured out that he needed to stay in bed. If he came out, I wouldn't say anything to him, would pick him up, and put him back in bed, and close the door, I know it makes for a long night, but eventually he gave up and went to sleep. We also put a kiddie door knob on the inside of the door, but it sounds like she can open those. It is just a phase, and phases come and go, just be patient.

Nancy Sabina said...

Oh boy, so sorry. The only thing I can think of is that maybe she doesn't need to sleep during her afternoon nap anymore. YOU still need a "naptime", but maybe she doesn't need to sleep during it. And maybe if you just let her play quietly during that time (locked in her room), she'll be more tired at night and that problem will just fix itself? Ya know?

I don't know all details so maybe I'm way off, but it's a thought...

Becky said...

Have you ever watched Supernanny? I really like her bedtime thing. You just keep putting them back in bed. Over and over and over again, and eventually, it works. At least on TV. The first time they get up, you say, "It's bedtime, Darling," (or whatever term of endearment you want, I suppose) and put them back in bed. The second time, just say, "It's bedtime," and put them back in bed. After that, NO talking to them at all--just put them back in bed. Over and over again.