Saturday, February 28, 2009

Indian food

For those of you who don't know, my husband served a mission in India. Our first date, he gave me the choice of Indian food or a steak house. I was very excited to try the Indian food and I have grown to love it almost as much as Italian food. There are certain dishes that just make me mmm and ahhh after almost every bite. Today, in honor of nothing at all, we got some Indian food from 1 of our 3 favorite places. When we ordered (we ordered the dinner to go), the man said, "would you like something to drink?" Always, no thankyou. But then I said, "oh husband of mine, why don't you get a mango lassi?" He loves them. I love them. But the waiter had walked away. Anyway, about 5 minutes later, he came back with 3 glasses of mango lassi (mango and plain yogurt, pureed) for us, no charge. Just one more reason I love Indian food.
So if you don't know what to order:
1 order of naan (it's a cross between fry bread and a tortilla)
briyani - a flavored rice dish served with a yogurt cucumber sauce
korma or masala - you choose the meat and they serve it with rice.

This list above is enough for 2-4 people and we always, even our first date, ate family style.
these are my favorites. tonight we tried one of the daal's on the menu - lentils. mmmm.

4 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I don't love all Indian food - my taste buds like things pretty boring. But I do like the Naan and I LOVE their cucumber sauce with some nice plain chicken kaboby things or something plain like that. Richard gets the crazier stuff.

Mindy said...

What are your three best Indian restaurants - in order? We haven't tried a bunch, but we like Star of India.

simplysarah said...

Mmmmmmmm...Indian food.......Yummy! :)

ZB said...

Yum, yum and more yum.