So, my brother, Aaron, died almost 2 years ago. I haven't seen him in over two years. I just miss him a lot. I think about him every day. Sometimes I think about him more than some people might think is healthy. I wish for some conversations that we can never have but that I wish we had. I wish for understanding. I am in awe at life's fragility. I've thought a lot about death and about how truly unexpected it can be - we never think we can be the victim of death. Even writing that, I shake my head at myself. Everyone dies so of course we'll be a victim of death. Yet...I'll just say, I think about this a lot. I spend quiet moments and actually really loud and crazy moments thinking about life, death and Aaron. And when we have family reunions, I really really miss him. Somehow, it's just not right. I have siblings that couldn't be there for the reunion and it's sad. But the void of not having Aaron actually hurts still sometimes.
Something I love - I got a locket from the Mr. and I put a picture of Aaron in it. Whenever I wear it, which is a lot, Miss E grabs it and says, "I wanna see Aawon." He died when she was about 4 months old. I'm glad she knows his name. I'm glad Miss A knows who he is. I'm glad when she says she misses him. I know she is just saying that, because she's thoughtful of my feelings sometimes, but I really appreciate it.
Someone said to me, 3 weeks after he died, "wow. you seem a little better. I'm glad you're getting over it."
Well, I'm not over it. I'm not over him. I love him and miss him and really hope I'm never over it. You don't get over it. You just learn how to live with it.
4 comments:
Hugs
Thanks for sharing this. Hard to believe it has been 2 years, almost, since that tragic day and finding him. I think about him everytime I see someone walking their dog, everytime I see a fb or blog post from someone in the Stones family. I wish like crazy some of the pain would lessen but then again it is all I have left so maybe I want it to stay. Miss you guys!
I'm sorry my friend. It is very true that you just learn to live with it. Not the same thing, but I think about my niece and nephew who have died and I never met them. I think about them a lot and the experiences I am missing with them. Hugs, if prayers can do anything to help, know that I have said many for you.
I can only imagine how difficult it must be. And wonderful that you have kept his spirit alive through your daughter.
Post a Comment