Well, I believe it's time to express my disdain for something. Have you ever, in your saddest, happiest, or most depressed moment, been asked the egregious question, "Are you crying?"
Let me give some thoughts to those of you out their.
When a person breaks into a sprint - an all out run, do you yell, "Are you running?"
When a person takes a bite of a sandwich, do you say, "Are you eating that?"
When a person is at a computer typing something, some may say, "Are you on the computer?"
In you're mind now, I suspect your saying, "I wouldn't ask something so completely obvious."
Yet I have heard others ask, "Are you crying?" If a person is crying, there are obvious signs - the tears being a dead give away, but often red eyes and a runny nose are indicators.
When a person is crying, often that means that that person is overcome with emotion. If you feeling that you have to ask if the person is crying, it probably means said person does not cry often and sometimes that person does not show emotion very often or easily. Therefore, pointing out the lacrime on said persons face often has the effect of embarrassment. If you are trying to embarrass someone, shame on you. If you are interested in the persons emotions, maybe do the kind and proper thing to do and share your feelings first. That makes the non-crying crier, perhaps more at ease. If said non-cryer crier then does not share feelings with words, drop it.
I guess I just find it inconsiderate of some people to subject emotionally stunted, private, or uninformed individuals to embarrass others for the purpose of either a) starting a conversation b) pointing out an event that doesn't happen often or c) being completely void of compassion for another persons feelings.
So next time you see your spouse, parent, friend, or child crying, please don't ask, "Are you crying?" Try something else. Break the cycle of obvious question asking.
4 comments:
But... this post kinda leaves me wondering if you were crying. And since I'm not with you and can't see your red eyes and blotchy face, is it bad to ask?
But, I admit, something like "Can I help you?" seems like a better question.
no nancy. I wasn't crying. Plus, you could ask because you're far away.
But I've been asked before and enough times that now it makes me irritated. So I vented.
I think a squeeze of the hand, a hug, a smile, or a "can I help you" is better than anything.
I totally agree with this...it made me smile to read it.
Amen.
Post a Comment