Tuesday, August 2, 2011

self inflicted pep talk needed

I'm a full time mother of two.  To some this may seem difficult and to others they may wonder how that could possibly keep me in the 'full-time' work status.  To both groups of people, it is sometimes difficult, but not for the reasons I used to think and to the other group of people, it isn't always full-time, but it is always on-call, which makes for some very long nights and little planned down time.  That is why it can seem overwhelmingly fatiguing.
So, with the daily task of 'work', I need my pep talk.  I usually call my mom because she's good at that stuff.  But really that pep talk needs to come from within.  I'm not gonna lie, it's been a struggle lately.  I want to say that I always feel productive, beautiful, successful, happy, and positive with a game plan to become increasingly better.  Yet, I find the productivity lacking, the dowdy woman emerging, the unsuccessful days increasing, all leading to disappointment in myself and negative thinking.
Well. What do you do, I ask, when you need that pep talk and you find only yourself to give it to you? the solution lies within. 
I know at a much younger point in my life, I thought that pep talk was supposed to be from the spouse.  As nice as that is, it's the same as hearing from your mother, sister, father, friend or anyone else who loves you.  What I have learned is that I need to be self motivating.  I need to be self reliant.  I need to have the same amount of love for myself as I do for others. 
Truly, I think the pep talk comes in the quiet moments.  I'm sure that's why some people take long showers.  That's why some people press the snooze button.  That's why some people actually like doing the dishes alone.  That's why a lot of chores happen, frankly.  And that's why I like to run. And I run with no music.
the long point of this? my knee hurts for some reason so I haven't been running consistently.  Therefore, I haven't been consistently pondering and giving that personal pep talk. It's amazing how one small thing can trickle down to every aspect of your life. 
The solution - well, I'm running anyway this week, even if it's slower than normal.  So far, the pondering makes me breath more, think more clearly, and enjoy my children and my life in general. 

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Just yesterday I went to the gym and forgot my phone (on which I usually watch TV or listen to music while exercising) and it was the best workout I've had in weeks! I was totally self-motivating. It felt great! I ran further, faster and climber higher than ever!

So I hope your knee cuts you some slack. Those talks do need to come from within - but those talks from loved ones are important, too. Don't forget to call a BFF sometimes!

kim said...

I never read blogs anymore but decided to go through my list of blogs and read yours. Running?! I for some reason was thinking you and Natalie hadn't been running because I had not heard from the both of you. I am sorry I have not been good about it with ya. I feel like since the kids started school, things have been crazy. Always excuses I guess. I am glad you are able to run and get rejuvenated for the day. Yes we all do need those pep talks for sure and coming from within is the hardest! I am so impressed you make time to do it!!

Katrina said...

I loved how you phrased the pep talk and being on call with little down time. You hit the nail on the head. I need to work on the same thing; I definitely do not love myself as much as I love others. You are wonderful! I need to follow your example and get out running, maybe I will take the leap and go without music too . . .

Elise said...

ditto ditto ditto ditto I do the same thing. But what do you do when you're pregnant? I can't run and can barely walk right now. I've lost my mo-joe. Kudos to you. Hope the week goes better. Love to you across the miles...

ZB said...

Well I guess I should find myself sitting in a chair in front of my computer more often so see what you are up to. It's a great distraction from my regular routine.

I think Running is INSANE! but hey whatever works for you. Personally I read a jane austen book or watch a movie, something way less stressful on my body and what some might call...LAZY!

I just keep telling myself one day at a time. And really I just have to make until my kids go to sleep (with an occasional interruption).

Hang in there. You'll get thru it just like the rest of us. Your knee however may not! So, take it easy on that body of yours and try JAne Austen.

Loves.