Friday, January 14, 2011

communication imperfections

perhaps the hardest part of life is the idea that to achieve some level of peace, we must successfully communicate who we are to another person and also understand others. I refer to all relationships, not just the intricate relationships of the family, but those of friends, co-workers, church goers, shopping clerks, drivers, telemarketers, sales people...pretty much anyone with whom you ever see or deal.

so in my effort to express myself better, and also to understand others better, I'd like to ask others their number 1 tip to communicate your own feelings and then your number 1 tip for understanding others better.

please remember to stick to english. I don't want to add language imperfections to the mix.

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Can my Number One tip be to try to understand before trying to be understood?

My tip for communicating my own feelings is to be careful to keep a neutral tone. I tend to use the tone of my voice as a weapon and sometimes that immediately puts people on the defensive - which is not a good place to start any conversation.

And for understanding others, I guess try to keep your mind open. Not jump to conclusions while they're still talking.

You're awesome.

Katrina said...

My tip for communicating my feelings is to slow down and imagine how it might be received. I tend to hurry and blurt out answers rather than taking a few seconds to think about what to say, especially if I am nervous.
As for understanding others I try to hear what isn't being said. This is a hard thing to master, but if I put myself in their shoes and really think about where they are coming from it works better.
Ditto the awesome comment :)

Becky said...

I think it's so important to look at people when they're talking to you. Or if it's a phone conversation, make sure they know you have their undivided attention and you're not distracted by other people or things.

Elise said...

I try to look at them RIGHT in the eyes...if possible. And try to see the light of Christ in there. I try to see how Heavenly Father sees them. The Savior died for them and I need to recognize their importance in the Plan.

As for myself being understood. I just pray. I just pray that when I talk people will listen. And...like the above comment...slow down and choose my words carefully.

Andrea (the Mom) said...

My number one communication tip is this: "Be prepared to apologize." You will never 100% be understood in the way you intended. If you realize that before you begin you will be more likely to choose what you say carefully. After all, who wants to say "sorry."