I recently asked a load of people if they would rather be really good at one thing or okay at a bunch of things.
For example,
would you rather:
play the concert piano, or play piano, clarinet and flute at a middle school level?
be an oil painter - professionally, or be able to create nice school projects with your kids/friends?
a trained psychologist who helps hundreds, or a really good friend who listens well?
a person who speaks a foreign language fluently, or someone who speaks 5 languages, sort of.
the list could go on, obviously.
so what do you think?
I think that the specialists out there generally have an Achilles heal of some sort that prevents them from excelling at other things outside of their specialties. This isn't to say they aren't super cool, because I would, in fact, like to be in that category, often. I also think the people who are okay at a bunch of things wish and hope and pine for what they wish they were - a specialist. When we judge, compare, ridicule, or resent, I think it is because we think the other person is either better than us and we are jealous, or the other person doesn't know our specialty as well as we do, and we mock (even if it is only a mocking thought).
So, I think I've always been the person who is okay at a bunch of things but tries to pass herself off as a specialist, depending on with whom I'm speaking.
that can't be good.
Is there some deep underlying reason some people are the specialists and others are the plebeians of the world?
4 comments:
Well how I see it is that people can also be specialists in more than one thing as long as they put forth the time and effort...Seriously not to toot my own horn here but there was a time where I was a specialist in both art and soccer. I have found that slacking off in keeping in shape for soccer has made me less of a player and that is nobody's fault but mine. I can't get mad at anyone for playing better than me and being a specialist in soccer because they put in the time. If I want to be a specialist in anything I've got to put in the time and effort. There's not just one thing a person can specialize in, there's a broad spectrum. You've just have to be willing to put in the time and effort and also try something new and invest in it, thats the only way to get far with something.
I love this post! So thought provoking. I can't respond with my thoughts because I think I'll have to ponder this for awhile. But I did learn so much by yours! I sense you are a specialist in psychology. :)
I am not a perfectionist. I am totally OK with being "just OK" at most things. I honestly think that's because I'm too lazy to really excel at anything. I'd rather just have fun enjoying something I can kinda do than practice, practice, practice to be better at it.
I have been thinking about this post for a few days (thank you for making me use my brain cells!).
A few thoughts-
I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you just want the basics so you can enjoy it or want to learn something new than I think it is fine to not be a specialist. If on the other hand your goal is to really know the ins and outs and see how far you can push yourself then you will be more of a specialist.
Knowledge and wisdom are powerful things. I believe they should be shared to enrich others. If you become a specialist just so you can feel proud and better than everyone else than it doesn't do much good. I would say that in that case it would be better to be mediocre and willing to share the few things you do know. The parable of the talents comes to mind.
I don't think we all need to be one way or the other. There are uses for both roles; it is our job to do our best in those roles.
Thanks for giving me something to think about :)
Post a Comment