Anyone out there still checking this blog?? Just wondering because it's been a while... I would have quit checking my blog by now.
Things are pretty average in our life right now. Nothing to report.
So, I've been thinking about what it is that I want to contribute to society. Motherhood is a very lovely profession, but I find that I want (maybe even need) something more.
I want to be the item that can be considered an antique. Let me explain. While wondering what I wanted to contribute to society, I also wonder what makes something go from useful, to old worthless junk versus the item that was useful and has remained so through the ages until now it is considered an antique, or in my words, priceless. So, I want to figure out how to be a mother who is useful now and then remain useful as a mother and as a human through the years. I have images of me 20 years from now, applying to a job with my resume looking like it did 3 years ago.
So, short of finding a part time job, or ditching the family in the evening for random college courses, what can I do to maintain my marketability, my usefulness, and contribute whilst I enjoy where I am now and be a good mother? and please don't say 'learn to do medical billing at home.' I've heard that. I'm gonna give it a no thanks ...for now.
other thoughts?
6 comments:
This is a tough one for me because I feel kinda the opposite from your feelings in this post. I feel like right now I am at my most useful, and that by doing a great job now I ensure that I will never be outdated. If I do my job right now, I am building my eternal family which I will get the honor of being the co-head of forever. I will literally NEVER be unnecessary.
But I also think that you are talking a little less existentially. And I can understand that, too. It's hard to be satisfied with the monotony of a mother-to-small-children's life. And you're smart to be thinking beyond that time to a time when you have time to spend on yourself or whatever you choose. I think that I keep myself "up to date" by staying current on computer software and continuing to use my brain (blogging, reading, engaging in conversation, etc). The software is important for me (I'm talking Excel, Word, etc) because if I were going to go back into the workforce it would likely be as somebody's assistant or some other office-y job. (I'm not quite as edu-ma-cated as you)
So I guess what I'm saying is that you have to figure out a way to use the skills you've got now, so that they'll still be current when you're ready to use them "full-time" again. Speak Italian, study art, create, read, etc. Or whatever else you think you might use.
...I hope I didn't just ramble on for too long and that this is helpful...
And by the way, I always read your blog. You're on my Reader, and I'm always thrilled to get to see a piece of your life and thoughts.
Still a reader :) I'll always keep you on my Google Reader, even if you never update again! However, it would make me super sad if you didn't - so don't get any funny ideas!
When Soren was little, I was a mommy and that was my focus. I also served others around me as I was able to with my skills/talents/etc. As he got older, I got restless. I started teaching myself skills (computer stuff for web design) and that blossomed into something. Then he got even older and I moved on to taking classes - guitar was one of them. And then when he was around 7 or 8, I was so bored I went back to work - teaching through Parks & Rec to start (they aren't too picky) and then moving on from there.
I guess what I'm saying is similar to Nancy - keep up with the skills you have - but as your kids get older, learn more and/or use the ones you have outside of your home.
If you are there for your kids when they need you, you will never be a useless piece of junk. They will remember and love you for it. And I believe that if you do that job, that when the time comes to go back out into the world of a working woman (if you choose to), Heavenly Father will lead you to where you need to go - a place that respects the fact that you took time off to be a mom and nurture your kiddos.
I've started all over again with being a mommy full time and that's not ending anytime soon. There are times that I miss work and all that comes with it. To fill some of that void I've done things like taken up knitting and I also plan to teach myself to sew at some point. These skills allow me to use my creativity in a way that can bless my family.
I never, ever thought I'd be sitting around knitting in the evening, but there ya go. Being a momma changes you in lots of ways. ;)
I can completely understand the need and desire to continually nurture your own dreams and ambitions outside of home. I remember once thinking that there was nothing more to me that breasts and watchful eyes. I remember thinking that I had no personal passions for anything other than my kiddos and my marriage. It was depressing...as if my self worth were reliant on something out in the world. As my kids get older I am seeing that they have become my conduit to "the world." Mothering them has given me many opportunities to explore who I am outside of home, who I want to be and what I want to do after they are grown. I could add to my resume things like President of a Parent Teacher Association and Volunteer Coach of the Season.
Take a class at home...I am totally taking Nancy's advice and getting "up to date" on the computer "stuff." Continue to do good for others. It may not matter on a resume but it can definitely make a mark in the world.
Blah, blah, blah!! Love you
I am a faithful reader. I will give it some thought and hopefully come back with something helpful.
I'm a faithful reader! I always love your posts and your pictures! It's such a great way to stay caught up on you and your family. I love hearing what you are all up too.
I have found myself wondering the same questions you have. I also feel like I want to do something amazing in this life. I want to make a difference. For now I'm just doing my best to get through school, keep the apartment clean, and get dinner on the table. :)
But I guess that's why I love doing wedding videos. It's a way for me to share my talents outside of my own home.
I feel like you do so many great things! You're a great mom! A fantastic cook! You are incredibly gifted with music and with painting!
So whatever you decide to do, just remember that you already are amazing! Anything you add to that will just be extra icing on the top!
Do you or have you thought of giving private harp lessons? Maybe find an orchestra that needs your beautiful talent. You probably already do that. I think finding time for yourself is just as important as taking time for your kids. Do you have a hobby you can take some classes for? Start a cooking healthy class in your home once a month. Do things that interest you. I think that by feeding your interests you are blessing your kids lives too.
PS I love reading your blog.
Post a Comment