Monday, October 11, 2010

crying it out

I don't know where the idea came from of 'crying it out' but I'm not a believer. Well, I'm not a believer today. Sometimes I am, but whatever.

I put Miss E in her crib for a nap. She whimpered and whined, but then she calmed down. I got in the shower to enjoy a nice warm bit of relaxation. Upon turning the water off, I hear the babe whaling. When I went in, she was sobbing and screaming and when she looked at me, burst into tears. The tears continued flowing for about 25 minutes, with me holding her. I'd rather just snuggle my sweet pea until she is almost asleep. It takes less patience, stress, and sadness.

But then, that's just today. Tomorrow maybe I'll be that tough mom who can take it.


can you hear that?

4 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I'm usually totally with you on the whole NOT crying it out thing. But Sammy has gotten into a routine of wanting to be held all morning - and I just really can't do that! I need to get 3 other kids off to school, not to mention getting myself dressed for the day. So today, I'm a believer in crying it out. Not that it makes him fall asleep - just that it must be done. I wish I could cuddle him to sleep.

Ya do what ya gotta do, I guess.

Lindsay said...

I could go on for a pretty long time about my thoughts on cry it out. Basically, I hate it. It seems to go against every natural instinct I have. But, I have tried it, to a point; and I think some babies handle it better than others. And sometimes, you just don't know what else to do! Sometimes, it seems my babies just ask more than I can give. But, in theory, I guess, I'm not a fan.

Jeanne said...

I only ever push it when they just won't give up that last 3 or 4 am feeding by themselves, but it's easier to ignore it at that time when you're a zombie anyway.

My little three year old is a pretty determined child too. Sometimes I have to give her two options for the same thing and let her decide... Like if she doesn't want to cooperate with getting in her car seat I will say, Could you climb in your car seat by yourself or do you want mommy to put you in there? She will often be more helpful when she knows she has a choice... not that it works everytime, but quite a few :)

ZB said...

Well, ya, when you see that face you are bound to fold.

I am the cruddiest mom EVER. All my babies cry it out. But they sure are good sleepers.

Sorry I haven't been here in ages. I mean well, but let's face it...I can't keep up with anything. Not even my own blog. So I apologize and realize that it will continue to happen again and again.

But I sure do love you. Your little one is getting so big and she is gorgeous. Both your girls are darling. Wanna see more photos of you mama.

Wanna ditch everything and go to ROME for some gelato?