Friday, July 10, 2009
standing my ground
As a parent, you have to pick your battles. I told my daughter that we could go play outside if she'd put her on sandles. She had a tantrum...for 15 minutes. I then asked her if she wanted help getting them on. I helped her. She took them off. Another tantrum of 10 minutes. The reprieve for breakfast and a drink. 30 minutes later she says, "Go outside??" I say, "Yes, but first put on your sandles." Another 10 minute tantrum. Needless to say, we spent this beautiful summer morning inside. I know my mom told me you have to pick your battles. I didn't intend to have the sandles be the battle, but apparently, my daughter doesn't know how to pick HER battles. Now she's down for a nap. I hope after her nap she will wise up and just happily wear the sandles so we can enjoy the out of doors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh MAN do I know how that song goes! It stinks so much but once you say something you've got to stick to it. There was a moment this morning where I thought our entire day's plans would have to be cancelled because Asher wouldn't let me dress him. He's 3 - he should be dressing himself! But he won't even let ME do it! Anyway... I just know how that goes. Good luck post-naptime.
In a metaphorical way, I feel very much like your daughter. I mean, like I haven't been very wise in picking my battles lately.
I too have needlessly spent too much time "inside." Huh.
Oh baby. Been there more times than I care to think. But good for you! Stand your grounds now, you'll be grateful later.
kids, that is all i can say...you are a good mom to be firm though!!!
I wish battles solved themselves. Now that I have three the battles come all day long and picking between what matters and what doesn't is really hard. We have had the shoe tantru and now we are starting to hit the "don't make me do my chores" tantrums.
Post a Comment