Friday, June 5, 2009

dreams, hopes, wishes, and goals

I could probably say too much about dreams, hopes, wishes, and goals, but I won't. What I wanted to share has to do with last night and this morning. Last night, I read a book to my girl titled, "Are you my mother?" She loves the book and knows all the characters and words. When we finished, I said, "Do you know who I am? I'm your mother." You know what she did? She gave me a blank stare and said, "paci? (pacifier)" I was sad. I gave up so many goals and hopes to have this one little person. I laid her down and she looked at me and said, "where's daddy?" Again, "do you know I'm your mother?"
Well, she went to bed, I went to bed, this morning, we got up, had breakfast, went to the park, and enjoyed ourselves. About 2 hours and one tired and thirsty girl later, we were walking home. She looked at me and said, "hold you?" I carried her home. She laid her head on my chest and just about fell asleep in the 1 block to our house. I love her. She snuggled me while she ate her sandwich and hugged me while I carried her to her bed for a snooze. I gave up so many goals and hopes to have this one little person. I am happy about it.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Finally found your blog!

Sometimes when I feel like I gave up a lot to have these kids and get nothing in return, I go into their rooms at night and kick myself for ever having such thoughts. How is it possible that these little things have such a hold on us?

Nancy Sabina said...

We love that book too! I think the thing about Motherhood is that there are many, many, many moments when you work your toosh off with no satisfaction, completion, or recognition. And it kinda sucks. But then there are those few moments when you DO get the satisfaction or recognition (still rarely, completion). The key is to try every day to find MORE of those good moments. And if you watch closely, you will.

Those are my profound thoughts. But I think you really already know that.

Mrs. Lundgreen said...

That was sweet. I love those little momments - a little few and far between, for me, but they're priceless.