My dad, of course, smoked us all, coming in at about 25 minutes. I had a good run, coming in at 30.37 minutes. Not bad for me.
http://www.thegiftoflifeandbreath.com/and for all of my really fit running friends, I get horrible running cramps (side stitches) and they ease up after about 15 minutes...but they never go away. Why? What can I do?
5 comments:
Lets see - I gues 25:53 is "about 25 minutes" - but it is more "about 26 minutes".
way to go. I could never in a million years. I'm impressed as always.
Good job Eca.
Up until recently there was no clear explanation for the cause of this annoying cramp, also called exercise related transient abdominal pain (ETAP). Now researchers believe that the side stitch is caused by stretching the ligaments that extend from the diaphragm to the internal organs, particularly the liver. The jarring motion of running while breathing in and out stretches these ligaments. Runners tend to exhale every two or four steps. Most people exhale as the left foot hits the ground, but some people exhale when the right foot hits the ground. It is the later group who seem more prone to get side stitches.
Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation. It is believed this repeated stretching leads to spasms in the diaphragm.
Stopping a Side Stitch
To stop a side stitch when running, stop running and place your hand into the right side of your belly and push up, lifting the liver slightly. Inhale and exhale evenly as you push up.
Preventing a Side Stitch
To prevent a side stitch, take even, deep breaths while running. Shallow breathing tends to increase the risk of cramping because the diaphragm is always slightly raised and never lowers far enough to allow the ligaments to relax. When this happens the diaphragm becomes stressed and a spasm or "stitch" is more likely.
That is a REALLY good time! I'm so impressed! As for the side aches - I get them too and just push and push on the "spot" and try to breath deap...
What an explanation from "The Mighty Yam"! Did they google that, or just know it?...
Erin - the mighty yam is my brother mat. it is still up for debate whether or not he just knew that stuff - probably google. he is really athletic (triathlons, biking, hiking, camping...)
Post a Comment