Sunday, April 26, 2009

thinking on forgiveness

Patience, kindness, long suffering, endurance, empathy, compassion, and many more God like qualities are all needed for the one act of forgiving. I think of how quickly my daughter forgives me when I make a mistake. I enforce rules that she doesn't understand. She may not like it, but she still forgives me. She shows me compassion, love, and patience regardless of my parental errors.

As we grow older, more cynical, less compassionate, and more self serving, we seem to think more of the laws of justice than the laws of mercy. Forgiveness requires a lot of mercy - making allowances for the mistakes others make, even when it doesn't seem fair.

I've been thinking about this because my feelings were hurt. I cried and cried. My daughter gave me a hug and my husband told me I was loved. Yet, the hurt was still there. People say you are in charge of your own emotions. Some people say to just brush it aside and remember everyone is human. But then, what do you do with the real feelings you felt? Bottle them? Ignore them? Change them? How do you change them?

With his arm around me, my husband said, "you just need to forgive and then it will all be better."

Forgiveness is a requirement for all of us, even if we were the hurt party. Festering emotions can only lead to more and sometimes deeper pains. Once we forgive, we can move on and bury the pain away - a pain that won't fester, but will be a distant reminder of a life lesson learned.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for the poigniant reminder. It was especially timely since I was home from church today with a sick little one. I needed something spiritual to ponder on. I hope those feelings heal soon.

Nancy Sabina said...

Those laws of mercy ... you're right, they're tough. I recently had my feelings really hurt too and man is it a hard thing to deal with. I'm still working on forgiving the party who hurt me. But the crazy part is that I know SHE is working on getting over her hurt and forgiving me, too. That actually makes it easier for me to forgive her. I guess that's the empathy part. You're very right that all of those things you listed are needed.
...I feel like that is a somewhat disjointed comment. I guess you said it well and I'm just dito-ing.

Katrina said...

I have been struggling with a forgiveness issue too. I have been praying to have my thoughts changed and that I can see and love the person the way the Savior does. I hope you can learn it faster than I have!

simplysarah said...

I love you Erica. You are an angel, and I'm so glad we are friends.

PS Thanks for sharing.