Saturday, November 8, 2008

superhero father

Do you remember when you were little and your parents were infallible, awe-inspiring, all-knowing, strong, mighty, characters of justice, mercy, joy, happiness and all good qualities you hoped someday to attain? These were the days when your dad could lift you up and twirl you around until your belly hurt from laughing. These are the days when mom fixed the broken school project so you could still feel successful in your graham cracker gingerbread house. Parents were the superheros

And then you became a teenager. and discovered their flaws. and told them their flaws. and were angry by their flaws.

and then you grew up. and saw them as human. that they try to do their best as individuals, parents, friends, and neighbors.

today, though, my dad was that superhero to me again. he called me this week to ask me if I wanted to run the Longmont Turkey Trot with him. It's only 2 miles and I decided it would be fun to run with my dad. I knew he has been gradually getting to be more of a runner than a jogger by consistent work and effort. As we stood by the start line, among the many people, they sounded the starting signal, and my father began his run. Within 15 seconds, his pace was too much for me and I told him I'd meet him at the end. I watched him for as long as I could as he wove in and out of the other runners, trying to push ahead. When I finished, he found me and told me he ran it in 16 minutes. I felt that bit of pride in his accomplishment for having done a fantastic run. I felt that child within me feel that awe that you had as a young child looking to your parents. I know my parents have flaws now. I know they are not perfect. But what greater superhero of a parent than one that finds a goal, sets out, and suceeds. What better example than one that shows his children good habits and that with dedication, drive and determination, you can become the person you want to become.

thanks dad.

5 comments:

Dawn Davis said...

Hey! Nicole is in my ward, I've talked to her quite a few times. What a small world. I'm in AZ visiting my family for the next few weeks, but I'll be sure to drop your name the next time I see her. Thanks!!

ZB said...

Wow, what a man! That's incredible.

Rachel Durazzani said...

Neat tribute to your dad. And that's an impressive time! Way to go!!!!

B and B said...

And then the aww fails when you find he got 3rd place for being in the WRONG age bracket...haha...he is such a funny man!!

Elise said...

I love this post. I really feel this way about my own dad. Thank you for this really cool post. It truly resonated within me.