When I was pregnant with Miss A, I was working for the duration and had a business trip planned for the first trimester - nausea and travel are a bad combination, but when you throw in burnt garlic, it becomes almost unbearable. I went to a dinner while there with my manager, a co-worker, and part of the sales team, and they took us to BeniHana's Restaurant. As they made their fried rice, the garlic butter burnt on the grill and the smell of it was in my hair and on my clothes. I've never been able to get back to that cool restaurant due to the smell ingrained in my nose. Pregnancy ingrains a lot of things really well.
Well, I love garlic, so I just decided I would try again with pregnancy number 2 and just... not burn it like they did. I was successful until about November when I thought I was being really bright. I bought a 1 lb plastic container of pealed garlic from Sam's club. By the time I got it home, my car smelled. After being in my refrigerator for 1 hour, it smelled. After a day, it was moved into glass jars (thinking that would 'bottle' the smell) and it still smelled. After that, it moved to the back porch. I thought the weather would keep it cold like the fridge, but I wouldn't have to smell it. It went bad on the back porch. I haven't had the will power or desire to clean up, knowing the smell to come, but my New Years desire to de-junk forced me to look at the garlic. Saturday, I emptied the jars into a plastic bag, double bagged the nasty garlic (which had a smell strong enough to burn my nose), and put the jars in a bleach/soap solution and soaked them for 24 hours. When they were removed from the solution, they went to the dishwasher. To make this long story wrap up, it's 1 AM and I'm cleaning because the smell of garlic is so strong that upstairs in my house, the smell is waking me up and burning my throat. I've taken the bottles out and they are back on the porch. The dishwasher is running - again. And candles are lit. Now I have to wait for the smell to dissipate to a reasonable stench so I can, in fact, sleep through the smell.
5 comments:
Awwww, poor Erica! Those pregnancy smells really get me, too. I hope you were able to sleep and get rid of the smell. If not, try Febreeze!
Oh, come on. A little bit fo garlic? When you have Richard's armpits moving around your house?
Just leave one of Alice's diapers under your couch for a few days. The garlic smell will be over shadowed, I promise!!
Mine has been bacon...burned bacon since HY's pregnancy. It's rough. I feel your pain sister.
Oh I can only imagine. How is it now? I hope it's getting better.
Post a Comment